Tuesday 14 February 2012

Google it...

I have a confession to make......
There is one piece of advice I have for any parents out there, and that is do not, under any circumstances use Google to find out about any health concerns you may have for your child. If you are worried or don't understand  something ask a doctor, I repeat, DO NOT use Google!
In our house we have been having a bit of a swap around and me and the girls have changed rooms, amid all the chaos I found Heidi's discharge summery from Neonatal, it makes for interesting reading! Firstly there are a few things on there that I don't remember happening, but I really should. Is my memory really that bad, or did my brain just get to a certain point and just think 'no, you have enough of this driving you crazy, I'm not going to remember that as well'?? Who knows, well, clearly not me!
Secondly, there were a lot of words on there that although I know them, I'm not entirely sure on the correct meanings. So I of course do the sensible thing, and with the letter still firmly clutched in my hand I fire up the laptop and set about Googling practically every other word. This was not a good idea, but once I started it turned into a bit of an obsession and I could not stop until I had reached the very last word. Thankfully it was only a brief summery, or the hour I spent at my computer could easily have turned into a day. I got to understand my daughters Neonatal journey that little bit better, and in hindsight I could have done without that, but it goes to prove what a real miracle my wonderful Heidi is. However, the thing that I am most thankful for after doing this is that I didn't have a computer and never Googled anything during Heidi's stay, it would have truly tipped me over the edge. Going through the NICU with a certain amount of naivety was definitely the best thing for me.
So although I have obviously completely ignore my own advice, to other parents I would still say the same - Google is bad for your health!

1 comment:

  1. I'm guilty of doing the same; part of me finds it really interesting and partly it just scare-mongers! (is that a phrase/word?!)
    I also managed to blank out NICU facts. On the last consultant app, he was looking at her 6 week head scan and saying "and these areas of abnormal bleeding..." WHAAAAT?! I clearly only processed that she had not haemorrhaged or had severe abnormalities detected. Ignorance can be bliss sometimes.
    Well done miracle Heidi :)

    ReplyDelete